This guy nails it, it’s really close!
The original has some ARP2600 in it but who needs that when you have a Pro-One 😉
Found this while moving.. Beautiful!
STATUS: Done! (Nov 13, 2015)
The Pro-One has spacers welded to the metal front panel, onto which the main PCB is attached with screws.
On my Pro-One, one spacer had broken off. (It was still attached to the PCB though).
Now, to get a good result I needed to add some weight/pressure to the spacer once the glue was in place – but also make sure the spacer was glued at a perfectly straight angle.
I came up with a pretty clever solution if I may say so myself: I fastened the spacer to an old transformer (the one I replaced in the Pro-One).
This gave me the needed weight AND a straight angle.
Some hopefully nice/fun/interesting pics taken during the restoration process of my Sequential Circuits Pro-One.
There is (was?) a company called synthwood who sells kits to make your synths more woody and nice. They seem to have gone out of business now, and people seem to have different opinions on the quality of these kits. Anyway, I though this Pro-One case was pretty awesome. Thinking about if I could do something similar..
STATUS: Done! (Nov 14, 2015).
I bought the MTG Turbo CPU replacement, the extra MIDI board, and the CV option (to control filter and stuff via midi).
Check out Music Technologies Group Turbo CPU here!
The Turbo CPU board replaces the original Pro-One CPU and fits right in the old CPU socket. The main reason for me to get it was that there was a MIDI option for it as well. There are other benefits such as faster performance (although this may border on unnoticable) and also completely new features such as an extra LFO (which I probably won’t use).
The new CPU board
The Turbo CPU attaches to the separate MIDI board with 6 wires. 4 for MIDI, 2 for the extra CV stuff that will control pitch bend, cutoff etc over MIDI.
I added molex connectors to the board and the 6 wires so that the Pro-One lid (which has the PCB with the CPU) can be detached from the bottom (which has the MIDI board and connectors)
Step 4 – Mounting MIDI connectors
Now I did a quick test of both MIDI In and Out – all working!
The CV connections
The remaining 5 pin connector is for the wires with CV signals going from the MIDI board and back to the main PCB (for pitch bend, filter control etc over MIDI).
Another test. Now I could control pitch bend over MIDI! The range defaults to 2 semitones, nicer than the Pro-One’s “about a fifth” and much more playable (Looking at you, non-spring loaded pitch bend wheel). I also had control over filter resonance and cutoff (connected to mod wheel and using the extra LFO of the new CPU.. not sure how I like this, but it’s all configurable).
Finally I pushed the MIDI LEDs into the holes drilled in the chassis.
They are ‘modern’ bright blue LEDs – not a big fan.. Maybe I’ll replace them with something more retro like green or red in the future.
Here is an overview pic of the internals (the bigger brownish board is from my keybed replacement mod):
There – all done!